Game Art & Design
Game developers are always competing to captivate audience with the latest and greatest in graphics, performance, and more. Find out how our Bachelor of Science in Game Art & Design program can help you develop the skills you need to get your start in the gaming field.
Enhance your Game Art & Design skills
In this program, you can:
- Sharpen skills in design fundamentals, then move on to developing skills in game design, scriptwriting, storyboarding, and character design
- Examine the video game programming, production, artistic concepts, and game play strategies that led to games enjoyed by people around the world
- Learn how to use technology to produce your own games and game levels, culminating in a portfolio of your work
- Receive guidance from instructors with industry knowledge and practical experience
As a graduate, you could pursue entry-level Game Art & Design opportunities within education, game development, and software companies—including these positions:
- 2D Conceptual Artist
- Storyboard Artist
- 3D Character Builder
- 3D Object Modeler
- Interactivity Designer
- Background Artist
- Game Play Tester
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you. Learn more here.
The courses in the Bachelor’s in Game Art & Design are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
Game Art & Design degree requirements
Students entering the Game Art & Design program must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Have a final high school CGPA of 2.5 or higher or hold a General Education Development certificate (GED) with the numeric score equivalent to at least a 2.5 GPA under previous GED equivalencies or at a minimal score of 500 under current GED equivalencies with no single test below a 410 score.
- Meet the standard Art Institute admission criteria.
- Exhibit competent drawing and design skills by submission of specified portfolio criteria. Drawing and design skills will be assessed using department standards.
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.5 or higher, or hold a General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or associate's degree or higher. Students must exhibit competent drawing and design skills by submission of specified portfolio criteria. Drawing and design skills will be assessed using department standards and will determine placement in drawing courses.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (Version 10 or higher)
- Adobe After Effects (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Flash Professional (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Illustrator (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe InDesign (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Photoshop (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Premiere Pro (Version CS6 or higher)
- Apple Quicktime (Version 7 or higher)
- Audacity 2.0.3
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Unreal UDK
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Norton Antivirus (Version 10.2 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (Version 12 or higher)
Minimum technology requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel Core®2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor with 64-bit support, Windows 7 Professional with SP 1 (64-bit), 4GB RAM, 30 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with 16-bit color, 1 GB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system, Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft WDM//MME, Direct3D 11 technology, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL-capable graphics card, Stereo Sound Card, Speakers and/or Headset, Internet Speed : DSL or Cable Internet highly recommended and Video Card (minimum specs): Nvidia 400-series (or better) or ATI Radeon 5000-series (or better) video card.
- Mac: Dual Boot Required Users should have systems with the following specifications: Apple® Mac® Pro 4.1 or later; MacBook® Pro 5.1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later or *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4GB RAM, 30GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with 16-bit color, 512MB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system. Dual boot requirements: Boot Camp (comes with mac OS X), Windows 7 (64-bit required if running OS X 10.7) and Additional 20 GB HD Space required for Windows Partition. Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Additional notes about installing Windows via Boot Camp if students do not have it already set up: Students will need to purchase: Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5) See Windows 7 requirements -or- Windows 8: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro (Boot Camp 5 only) See Windows 8 requirements Helpful link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Game Art & Design program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Digital Drawing Tablet: http://www.journeyed.com/item/Wacom/Intuos+Tablets/1564924
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera