Graphic designers combine words, symbols, and images to create the powerful visual messaging we see all around us, every day. Find out how our Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design program can empower you to develop creative ideas and visuals that solve real business problems.
Enhance your Graphic Design skills
In this program, you can:
- Develop key skills in computer graphics, electronic imaging, and production
- Use industry-specific technology to design everything from logos and posters to packaging, websites, and corporate identity packages
- Explore concepts in typography, design, color theory, composition, and more
- Create a graphic design portfolio to showcase your skills to potential employers
- Receive guidance from instructors with both industry knowledge and practical experience
As a graduate, you could pursue entry-level employment in advertising agencies, design studios, interactive media companies, and more—including these positions:
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Junior Art Director
- Production Coordinator
- Computer Artist
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you.
The courses in the Bachelor’s in Graphic Design are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
Graphic Design degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.0 or higher, or hold a General Education Development GED Certificate, or associate's degree or higher.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (Version 10 or higher)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (Version 10 or higher)
- Adobe Flash Professional (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Creative Suite - includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional, and InDesign (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Flash Player (Version 10.0 or higher)
- Apple QuickTime (Version 7 or higher)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Norton Antivirus (Version 10.2 or higher)
- Windows Media Player (Version 12 or higher)
Minimum technology requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor, Windows 7 with SP 1, 4 GB RAM, 20 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with 32-bit video card, 512 MB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system.
- Mac: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support, *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4 GB RAM, 30 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) Retina display supported. 512MB of VRAM (1GB recommended), and OpenGL 2.0–capable system.
*Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera