Media Arts & Animation
As a multimedia artist and animator, you can entertain, amaze, and inspire those around you with your creative ideas and talent—but to reach that level requires advanced training. Discover how our Bachelor of Science in Media Arts & Animation can prepare you for this exciting field.
Enhance your Media Arts & Animation skills
In this program, you can:
- Begin with a foundation in drawing, color, and character design before moving on to advanced 2D and 3D animation principles, story development, scenic layout, and special effects
- Work with industry-grade software to see how you can create stories that captivate audiences
- Build a digital portfolio to showcase your work to potential employers
- Learn from instructors with years of industry-relevant experience
As a graduate, you could seek entry-level Media Arts & Animation jobs at game design and film companies, ad agencies, major corporations, and more—including work as a:
- 2D Animator
- 3D Animator
- 3D Modeler
- 3D Environment Artist
- Assistant Project Manager
- Storyboard Artist
- Digital Illustrator
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you.
The courses in the Bachelor’s in Media Arts & Animation are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
Media Arts & Animation degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.0 or higher, or hold a General Education Development GED Certificate, or associate's degree or higher.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Photoshop (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe After Effects (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Dreamweaver (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Flash Professional (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Illustrator (Version CS6 or higher)
- Adobe Premiere Pro (Version CS6 or higher)
- Autodesk Maya Unlimited
- Audacity 2.0.3
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Unreal UDK (latest version, free download)
- Optional Flipbook Pro (Version 6) or Flipbook Studio (Version 6)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Norton Antivirus (Version 10.2 or higher)
- ToonBoom Custom EDMC Package
- Windows Media Player (Version 12 or higher)
Minimum technology requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel Core®2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor with 64-bit support, Windows 7 Professional with SP 1 (64-bit), 4GB RAM, 30 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1280x900 display with 16-bit color, 1 GB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system, Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft WDM//MME, Direct3D 11 technology, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL-capable graphics card, Stereo Sound Card, Speakers and/or Headset, Internet Speed : DSL or Cable Internet highly recommended and Video Card (minimum specs): Nvidia 400-series (or better) or ATI Radeon 5000-series (or better) video card.
- Mac: Dual Boot Required Users should have systems with the following specifications: Apple® Mac® Pro 4.1 or later; MacBook® Pro 5.1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later or *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4GB RAM, 30GB available hard disk space recommended, 1280x1024 display with 16-bit color, 512MB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system. Dual boot requirements: Boot Camp (comes with mac OS X), Windows 7 (64-bit required if running OS X 10.7) and Additional 20 GB HD Space required for Windows Partition. Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Additional notes about installing Windows via Boot Camp if students do not have it already set up: Students will need to purchase: Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5) See Windows 7 requirements -or- Windows 8: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro (Boot Camp 5 only) See Windows 8 requirements. Helpful link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Media Arts & Animation program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Digital Drawing Tablet: http://www.journeyed.com/item/Wacom/Intuos+Tablets/1564924
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera
- Peg Bar
- Light Board