3D Modeling for Games
Creating the characters and objects found in video games requires a unique skill set paired with a naturally creative mind. Learn how our 3D Modeling for Games Certificate program can prepare you to pursue a career doing what you love in the gaming industry.
Enhance your 3D Modeling for Games skills
In this program, you can:
- Learn how to use a variety of 3D modeling tools and techniques to create high quality models for characters, props, and environment
- Study animation principles, 3D modeling, storyboarding, hard surface and organic modeling, and more
- Focus on the real time nature of model rendering in games
- Receive one-on-one attention from instructors with professional experience in the field
The courses in the Certificate in 3D Modeling For Games are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
As a graduate, you’ll be prepared to pursue entry-level 3D modeling positions, including:
- 3D Artist
- Character Artist
- World Builder
- Lighting Artist
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
3D Modeling for Games degree requirements
Students entering into the 3D Modeling for Games Certificate program must already possess an associate’s degree or higher with a minimum, final GPA of 1.5 or higher. Students must possess strong drawing skills, thus all students must pass an entrance portfolio.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Norton Antivirus (Latest Version)
- Autodesk 3ds Max (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk Mudbox (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk Maya (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk MotionBuilder (Version 2015 or higher)
- Unreal 4
- Pixologic Zbrush 4R6 (optional)
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Apple Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum Technology Requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Intel Core®2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor with 64-bit support, Windows 7 Professional with SP 1 (64-bit), 4 GB RAM, 30 GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum (1920x1080 recommended) with 16-bit color, 1 GB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system, Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft WDM//MME, Direct3D 11 technology, Direct3D 10, or OpenGL-capable graphics card, Stereo Sound Card, Speakers and/or Headset, Internet Speed : DSL or Cable Internet highly recommended and Video Card (minimum specs): Nvidia 400-series (or better) or ATI Radeon 5000-series (or better) video card.
- Mac: Dual Boot Required Users should have systems with the following specifications: Apple® Mac® Pro 4.1 or later; MacBook® Pro 5.1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later or *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4GB RAM, 30GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum (1920x1080 recommended) with 16-bit color, 512MB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system. Dual boot requirements: Boot Camp (comes with mac OS X), Windows 7 (64-bit required if running OS X 10.7) and Additional 20 GB HD Space required for Windows Partition. Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Additional notes about installing Windows via Boot Camp if students do not have it already set up. Students will need to purchase: Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5) See Windows 7 requirements -or- Windows 8: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro (Boot Camp 5 only) See Windows 8 requirements Helpful link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the 3D Modeling for Games program
Web Browser Requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera