Enhance your Interior Design skills
In this program, you can:
- Learn how to create spaces that improve the way your clients feel and work
- Study computer-aided drafting and design, 3D design, space planning, problem solving, the history of design and architecture, and more
- Explore specialty design areas, including exhibit, hospitality, retail, and corporate design
- Discover ways to communicate interior design solutions using a variety of visual media and technology
- Build your interior design portfolio so that it’s ready for potential employers when you graduate
- Get guidance from instructors with industry knowledge and experience
The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) has awarded The Art Institute of Pittsburgh – Online Division's Bachelor of Science in Interior Design its prestigious accreditation. This accreditation means that our online Interior Design program meets the highest standards that employers are looking for in graduates. It also demonstrates our unrelenting commitment to refining and improving our curriculum to ensure our program continues to provide a respected Interior Design education.
The Interior Design program leading to the Bachelor of Science degree is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation, www.accredit-id.org, 206 Grandville Ave., Ste. 350, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Licensure, credentialing, and other student outcomes - CIDA
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh collects and publishes important information regarding student achievement, including aggregate data addressing attrition and retention, graduation rates, job placement rates, and acceptance into graduate programs in order to meet Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) program eligibility requirements. That information can be found here.
The courses in the Bachelor’s in Interior Design are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
As a graduate, you’ll be prepared to pursue a variety of entry-level positions in Interior Design, including:
- Interior Design Assistant
- Assistant Designer
- Business Development Coordinator
- Junior Designer
- Color Consultant
- Interior Decorator
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
Interior Design degree requirements
As a prerequisite for admission to The Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Online Division, students must be a high school graduate with a minimum, cumulative, final high school CGPA of 2.0 or higher, or hold a General Education Development GED Certificate, or associate's degree or higher.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Norton Antivirus (Latest Version)
- Google Sketchup (Latest version)
- Autodesk AutoCAD (Version 2015 or higher)
- Autodesk Revit (Version 2015 or higher)
- Apple Quicktime Pro (Latest version)
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Apple Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum technology requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Single- or Multi-Core Intel® Pentium®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended. Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1 64-bit: Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium, Microsoft® Windows® 8 64-bit: Windows 8 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8, Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 64-bit: Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8.1. All require 4GB of RAM, 30GB of available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with true color, 512MB VRAM, Open GL 2.0-capable system, and DirectX® 10 capable graphics card with Shader Model 3.
- Mac: Dual Boot Required Users should have systems with the following specifications: Apple® Mac® Pro 4.1 or later; MacBook® Pro 5.1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later or *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4GB RAM, 30GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with true color, 512MB VRAM, OpenGL 2.0–capable system. Dual boot requirements: Boot Camp (comes with mac OS X), Windows 7 (64-bit required if running OS X 10.7) and Additional 20 GB HD Space required for Windows Partition. Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Additional notes about installing Windows via Boot Camp if students do not have it already set up: Students will need to purchase: Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5) See Windows 7 requirements -or- Windows 8: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro (Boot Camp 5 only) See Windows 8 requirements. Helpful link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Interior Design program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera