Enhance your Residential Planning skills
In this program, you can:
- Prepare for opportunities in residential planning and sales consultation by having a chance to develop drawing, drafting, and computer skills
- Take courses in the fundamentals of interior space planning—including textiles, historic and contemporary styles, space planning, kitchen and bath planning, architectural drafting, and computer-aided design
- Learn from instructors with real world experience and knowledge in this creative field
- Earn credits that may be transferred to our Bachelor of Science in Interior Design program
The courses in the Diploma in Residential Planning are designed to prepare you to pursue a career in your chosen field. All of our courses are built to engage and challenge you through text, video, animation, chat, and more, while also helping you learn relevant industry knowledge and skills.View course listing
As a graduate, you’ll be prepared to seek entry-level positions in interior space planning and design, including:
- Interior Decorator
- Furniture Arranger
- Home Lighting Advisor
- Decorating Consultant
- Interior Design Consultant
Our Career Services team can support you in preparing for and finding the career opportunity that’s right for you.
Before you start your first course, you’re encouraged to complete an online orientation that introduces you to different features of the online classroom and prepares you for your role as an active learner in our online classes.
See the online classroom in action.
The faculty members at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division are devoted to empowering you for your future career. Their guidance and mentorship can help you to focus your creative energy and vision toward the skills that matter most in your field—and, as an online student, you’ll be in constant contact with your instructors via email, video, phone, and even chat.
Residential Planning degree requirements
The prospective student must be a high school graduate with a minimum, final high school GPA of 1.5 or higher, or hold a General Education Development (GED) Certificate, or associate's degree or higher as a prerequisite for admission.
To check your operating system, browser and plug in capabilities, please Click here.
- Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription (Contains Adobe Acrobat Professional, After Effects, Animate, Audition, Bridge, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro)
- Microsoft Office Professional (Version 2010 or higher) or Microsoft Office University 365
- Antivirus Software (Latest Version)
- Skype (Recommended)
- Google Sketchup (Latest version)
- Autodesk AutoCAD (Version 2015 or higher)
Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, and Java
Minimum technology requirements
- PC: Users should have systems with the following specifications: Single- or Multi-Core Intel® Pentium®, Xeon®, or i-Series processor or AMD® equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended. Microsoft® Microsoft® Windows® 8 64-bit: Windows 8 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8, Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 64-bit: Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Pro, or Windows 8.1. All require 4GB of RAM, 30GB of available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with true color, 512MB VRAM, Open GL 2.0-capable system, and DirectX® 10 capable graphics card with Shader Model 3.
- Mac: Dual Boot Required Users should have systems with the following specifications: Apple® Mac® Pro 4.1 or later; MacBook® Pro 5.1 or later; iMac® 8.1 or later or *Mac OS X v. 10.7 or higher, 4GB RAM, 30GB available hard disk space recommended, 1366 x 768 minimum display resolution (1920x1080 recommended) with true color, 512MB VRAM, and OpenGL 2.0–capable system. Dual boot requirements: Boot Camp (comes with mac OS X), Windows 7 (64-bit required if running OS X 10.7) and Additional 20 GB HD Space required for Windows Partition. Mac users must have a minimum of OS 10.7 in order to run Adobe Creative Cloud. Additional notes about installing Windows via Boot Camp if students do not have it already set up: Students will need to purchase: Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5) See Windows 7 requirements -or- Windows 8: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro (Boot Camp 5 only) See Windows 8 requirements. Helpful link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634
Important Note: “Virtual machines” are not supported by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division for the Residential Planning program.
Web browser requirements
Windows Users: The two latest releases of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
Mac Users: The two latest releases of Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Google Chrome are supported.
- Color Inkjet Printer
- Color Flatbed Scanner
- Digital Camera
- Drafting Supplies
- Drawing Supplies